Temple of Hephaestus (Hephaisteion)
Ναός Ηφαίστου · Hephaisteion · Theseion · Temple of Hephaestus and Athena Ergane
Classical (High Classical, Age of Pericles)·Classical Greek (Athenian)·🇬🇷 Attica, Athens, Ancient Agora, Agoraios Kolonos hill, Greece
About
About Temple of Hephaestus (Hephaisteion)
Best-preserved Doric peripteral temple in Greece (449–415 BCE, Iktinos–Kallikrates circle) atop Agoraios Kolonos at the NW edge of the Ancient Agora (37.9756,23.7214). 6×13 Pentelic marble columns on a 31.77×13.72 m stylobate, Doric frieze with Theseus and Herakles, interior cella double colonnade. Dedicated jointly to Hephaestus (craft) and Athena Ergane. Converted to Christian church of St George Akamates (7th c.–1834), which saved its roof and entablature while the Agora below was quarried. Agora Museum 20 m east in Stoa of Attalos preserves Hephaisteion sculpture. UNESCO World Heritage as part of Athens Acropolis buffer (404).
Why it mattersOnly largely intact Classical Doric temple (roofed until 1834), reference for Doric proportions and Agora topography. UNESCO 404.
Open questions
Mysteries & theories
Mysteries
- 01Why frieze themes emphasize Theseus (Athenian) over Hephaestus
- 02How metalworkers' quarter related to hilltop cult
Theories
- 01Periclean Agoraios Kolonos as craftsmen's democratic monument
- 02Church reuse as preservation accident, not pagan continuity
Theories are interpretations, not findings. The seal above tells you how much scholarly weight the place carries.
History
How it came to be
- Built
- c.449–415 BCE (Periclean building program, completed 415)
- Period
- Classical (High Classical, Age of Pericles)
- Culture
- Classical Greek (Athenian)
- Builders
- Periclean craftsmen under architect Iktinos tradition; cult of Hephaestus and Athena Ergane
- Purpose
- Craftsmen's temple on Agora metalworking quarter hill; later Christian church preserving structure
- Abandoned
- 5th c. CE pagan closure; reused as church until 1834
- Rediscovered
- Antiquarian 1765 (Stuart & Revett); American Agora excavations 1936
- Excavation
- Excavated
449 BCE
Periclean Agora program begins Hephaisteion
415 BCE
Temple completed with sculpture
7th c. CE
Converted to Church of St George Akamates, apse added
1936
American School Agora excavations expose Kolonos terrace
On the ground
Structures & features
37.9756° N · 23.7214° E · 73 m · 2 mapped features
Hephaisteion — Doric Peristasis and Cella
templeDoric peripteral 6×13 columns, 34×13.7 m stylobate, Pentelic marble, Doric frieze 449–415 BCE
37.9757° N · 23.7215° EHephaisteion — Agora Kolonos Hill and Opisthodomos
terraceHilltop terrace with opisthodomos and Classical Agora view toward Acropolis 150 m SE
37.9755° N · 23.7213° E