Knidos – Double Harbour of Cnidus (Datça Peninsula)
Κνίδος · Cnidus · Datça Knidos · Cape Crio
Classical to Byzantine (360 BCE – 700 CE)·Dorian Greek / Hellenistic / Roman / Byzantine·🇹🇷 Muğla Province, Datça Peninsula, Yazıköy, Turkey
About
About Knidos – Double Harbour of Cnidus (Datça Peninsula)
Knidos at Cape Crio commanded two harbours: tiny northern trireme harbour (silted, 7 m deep originally) with 20 rock-cut shipsheds for triremes, and larger southern commercial harbour whose eastern mole is now largely submerged at 2.75–3.20 m depth, 75 m broad and >300 m long according to Spratt's aerial mapping and recent INA surveys. Naval harbour described by Strabo as kleistos (closable); commercial harbour built with Hellenistic ashlar and Roman extensions. City famed for Praxiteles' Aphrodite and astronomer Eudoxus. Southern mole marked by modern beacon warning yachts off barely visible ashlar. Excavations by Iris Love (1967–80s) and INA (Burgaz).
Why it mattersOnly Greek city preserving both trireme war harbour (silted) and commercial harbour (submerged mole) in original relation; type site for Hellenistic harbour duality.
Open questions
Mysteries & theories
Mysteries
- 01Location of Praxiteles Aphrodite base in sanctuary above southern harbour
- 02Whether Lion Harbour at Burgaz was earlier Archaic harbour
Theories
- 01Knidos moved from Burgaz to Cape Crio specifically for defensible double harbours
- 02Southern mole built by Mausolos engineers copying Halicarnassus
Theories are interpretations, not findings. The seal above tells you how much scholarly weight the place carries.
History
How it came to be
- Built
- c. 360 BCE (refoundation from Burgaz Old Knidos)
- Period
- Classical to Byzantine (360 BCE – 700 CE)
- Culture
- Dorian Greek / Hellenistic / Roman / Byzantine
- Builders
- Knidians / Hellenistic engineers
- Purpose
- Naval base for triremes (north) and Aegean-Mediterranean emporium for wine, marble and medical school
- Abandoned
- c. 700 CE after Arab raids
- Rediscovered
- 1857–58 by Charles Thomas Newton
- Excavation
- Partially excavated
c. 700 BCE
Old Knidos (Burgaz) founded
c. 360 BCE
City moves to Cape Crio; dual harbours built
1857
Newton excavates Demeter sanctuary and maps harbours
1967–80s
Iris Love excavates harbours and Aphrodite sanctuary
On the ground
Structures & features
36.6858° N · 27.3750° E · -2 m · 3 mapped features
Northern trireme harbour and shipsheds
harbourSilted northern naval harbour with 20 rock-cut shipsheds at +1 m
36.6870° N · 27.3740° ESouthern commercial harbour submerged mole
mole300 m southern mole at 2.75–3.2 m depth, 75 m broad
36.6840° N · 27.3760° EAphrodite sanctuary terrace
templeTerrace of Praxiteles Aphrodite above southern harbour
36.6865° N · 27.3780° E
Gallery